Sunday, August 3, 2008

Summer Thoughts

Has summer just begun or is it nearly over?
I always seem to be two steps behind the rest of the world in enjoying the seasons. About the time I am ready to shop for summer clothes, they are racked up on clearance, so with a little luck I find them marked down, just without all of the best stuff to choose from. Hey, I am overweight and middle aged, so who cares!

One early sign of the demise of summer is seeing school supplies on sale, and that is an event in every parent takes note of, although perhaps in a different way to a homeschooling parent.
Like a virus in the brain of a homeschooling mother is the constant question of whether or not we are doing well enough, and I am no exception. The method my family has been employing for the past two years will no longer be available after May of 2009, so evaluating the options has been heavy on my mind for about the past month.

The process has brought me to a book by the name of "Discover Your Child's Learning Style" and the reading is fascinating. It examines the performance of the public (or government) school system and in attempting to serve all, in reality serves very few, even the students who seem to be successful.
And if by some chance a teacher finds a method of teaching that reaches an entire class, the results don't conform to the bell curve, and will be rejected. The system is sick.

Well, our family is committed to the education of our sons, and we will continue to be homeschooling parents.

No comments: