Saturday, October 8, 2011

Green Acres

It has been 8 years since we left the tropical city and relocated up the coast to a much more rural area.

I love love love stepping out on a clear night and being able to see the stars. City lights hide the cosmos. Most of us don't even notice it. I don't often enough take the time in the evenings to star gaze. In our comfy, climate controlled homes with lots of other things to keep us busy, star light can be an overlooked luxury item.

On much the same vein, I like the sky during the day too. Oh, but trees! Yes! They make me play hide and seek with the sky, but I love them just the same. I can't decide what I want around my home, all sky, or all trees. Both are glorious.

Oh, to have a gardener! I always think that I want to garden, but more in theory than in practice. Last year, I managed to plant some tulip bulbs, and was thrilled at the payoff when they bloomed in the spring. However, weeding in the summer heat is not on my list of favorite things.

There is a house sort of next door; our nearest neighbor. It isn't lived in, but the owner has been growing vegetables and selling them on a cart in front of his house. Now that is gardening! He plants, and I am happy to buy from him.

He also has a small flock of chickens. He recently told my dear hubby that he would not be able to collect the eggs for awhile and that we could do it.
The simple joy of finding an egg, or two or three, is new to me! I love it! Maybe we should get a few chickens too! I know nothing of caring for them but kids don't come with owners manuals either. They are still alive, in spite of their mother.

Some of the birds have gotten adventurous and are wandering into our yard. One of them has even decided to lay eggs just outside of the door to our shed. I have found a couple, still warm. What a joy!

So eight years after leaving the city for the country life, the simple pleasures are still out there, waiting to be discovered.

No comments: