Saturday, May 23, 2009

One Item from the Bucket List






Well, we did it. We said, "What the heck?" and went to France to visit our son and daughter in law.

Lots of people have done it. But I hadn't, until earlier this month. Ever since being in Miss Schomberg's class in fifth grade, I have wanted to go to Europe, and finally got there, too many years later. It took the presence of our oldest (or should I say 'eldest?') son for a year of post doc work to get us there, and I am so glad that we went.

One of the things that caught my eye was the size of the cars, and considering the scarcity of parking, small cars make sense. We found ourselves on a street in Paris where cars were parked like beads on a string. The French must excel at parallel parking. It would have been interesting to wait for one of these drivers to claim their car and maneuver out of these tightest of parking places.

When I was a young girl, I loved bakery products. Now as a middle aged woman, bakeries are not what they used to be. But they were everywhere in France. I told my husband that if I had known that when I was about 18 years old, I might have emigrated to France and gone native.
A normal part of everyone's day was to pick up a baguette and carry it along, in a backpack or just in the paper wrapping from the bakery. I suppose there are as many ways to use your daily baguette as there are bakeries that produce them.

Our family went to France, thinking that it would be a once in a lifetime event. But I sure want to do it again!

No comments: