Friday, October 17, 2008

Comfort Foods and New Foods


Now that my son and his beautiful wife are settled in their apartment in France, they have let us know about a few things that they miss from the states.

That is a normal thing for anyone who relocates, even if you don't cross an ocean. I miss some things from Wisconsin, such as certain bakery items. I often refer to bratwurst as 'mother's milk' since they were always a part of our diet, especially durning the summers. They are available here, but what I cannot seem to find anywhere, even back in Wisconsin, is a good brat roll. They have to have a crispy crust, and a very airy light texture inside. Don't put them into a plastic bag! That will ruin them!

Well, I sent off a little care package to Andy and Sara with root beer extract, so they can make their own. Andy never lived in Wisconsin with all of the root beer stands there; yet somehow he managed to pick up on my love of root beer and misses it.
Another requested item was sauces from Buffalo Wild Wings.
We haven't been to that restaurant, except for one time when Andy was with us. It is 45 miles from where we live now, so it isn't on our regular circuit. It would seem that Florida State students spent a lot of time there in Tallahassee. Both Andy and Sara seem quite excited to hear that their favorite sauces are in the mail.

Sara has been keeping us up to date with the food scene while on their European adventure. The time in Germany was bratwurst heaven, and Andy always took note of the buns and thinking of how his dear mother would love them.
Figs seem to be a delicacy. Most of my experience with figs is from fig newtons. That might be nowhere near the same food.

The picture above is from a restaurant somewhere in France. I sure look forward to going there myself even if I am not sure of what those things on the menu are.

No comments: